The fashion industry, one of Montréal’s greatest assets
• Montréal is an important fashion centre producing nearly 50% of all clothing made in Canada.
• With this in mind, the Fondation de la mode de Montréal was created in 1990 as a non-profit, charitable organization to stimulate creativity and promote higher education and research in the fashion field in order to better position Montréal on the international stage.
The Fondation’s objectives
• To grant scholarships to help young designers, college graduates and teachers continue their studies in the garment industry in Canada or abroad;
• To encourage the research and development of new technologies and educational tools in the fashion field;
• To grant scholarships and subsidies to encourage the exchange of teachers, guest speakers and specialists within the framework of the fashion students’ education;
• To help students, young designers and teachers complete internships abroad and participate in key-symposia and seminars.
Each year, the Fondation conducts a fund-raising campaign with the loyal and highly appreciated involvement of the fashion and apparel industry and retail sector, government bodies and the business community.